Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

4 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Gar progress pic.

Kris,

that is a pretty big slab.  Are you still finding body as you prep?  Or is that the extent of the Gar?

58 minutes ago, Walt said:

Kris,

that is a pretty big slab.  Are you still finding body as you prep?  Or is that the extent of the Gar?

The whole thing should be there. The slab is approximately 40"x36" overall.

• Enjoyed 1

Amazing progress on the gar, can't wait to see it finished. It looks like it's buried pretty deep, or is that just a consequence of a 2D photo?

Do any of your preps now seem at least a little bit faster after completing that bird?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

50 minutes ago, Top Trilo said:

Amazing progress on the gar, can't wait to see it finished. It looks like it's buried pretty deep, or is that just a consequence of a 2D photo?

Do any of your preps now seem at least a little bit faster after completing that bird?

It's averaging 1/2" deep with some of the scales just below the surface where they have pushed up. Everything is fast compared to the bird. The delicate nature of inflated bird bones and feathers automatically requires a significant slow down of the prep speed. One of the diplos I just finished only took 9 hours and the diplo/cockerelites plate only took 15 hours. I'm 37 hours into the gar and anticipate it taking 100-125 hours total.

• I found this Informative 2

59 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

The gar is so big, I had to use the panoramic setting on my phone to get the whole thing in one photo!

nice!!!

• Thank You 1

• 4 weeks later...

Beautiful fish and amazing prep, Kris. Thanks for chronicling this for us!

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

34"? Toss it back, it's too small. :D Looks good though. :Smiling:

• Thank You 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

I read somewhere that they have to be 35 inches to be a keeper.  Ha!   But I loved the progress pics.  Great fossil!

RB

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, RJB said:

I read somewhere that they have to be 35 inches to be a keeper.  Ha!   But I loved the progress pics.  Great fossil!

RB

:default_rofl: I need to check the slot requirements for fossil fish. This one was a real fighter.

• Enjoyed 1

28 minutes ago, rocket said:

incredible Gar...

if it is too huge for you, I love to find a place on my wall :look:

Unfortunately, the vast majority of what I prep belongs to someone else.

13 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Unfortunately, the vast majority of what I prep belongs to someone else.

sometimes it´s better to prep fossils for someone else..., otherwise it could be hard to sell it some day. I think when I do a prep for a longer time there will be a kind of friendship between me and the fossil. I know how it was and what I did. Sometimes not easy to say good-bye...

52 minutes ago, rocket said:

sometimes it´s better to prep fossils for someone else..., otherwise it could be hard to sell it some day. I think when I do a prep for a longer time there will be a kind of friendship between me and the fossil. I know how it was and what I did. Sometimes not easy to say good-bye...

Sometimes it’s really hard to let them go. After spending months working on a specimen, there definitely is a bit of a connection. There really have only been a few fossils that I was sad to see leave the lab. Typically, I’m thinking about my backlogged queue as I finish up a long project.

I’m already onto the next project. This one is a cluster of echinoids.

• Enjoyed 1