Ptychodus04’s Fossil Fish Prepapalooza

Ptychodus04

• 1 month later...

Reposting the Diplomystus and Knightia double that got lost in the recent technical drama.

IMG_0868.thumb.jpeg.2be8dbc4faf71b2d35aa6f82100fa1ef.jpeg

Also, adding a recently completed Diplomystus prep. This one had some issues and most of the scales were not present or super thin and soft. :duh2:

IMG_0878.thumb.jpeg.eb9d48848eef51c6e5fae5d52899b4ed.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 4

Beautiful fish! What's your next big project?

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

14 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Beautiful fish! What's your next big project?

I’m working on a large lot of fish. Mostly Diplos and Cockerelites with a few other randoms. I just wrapped up a nasty Mioplosus that had bones moved all over the place. It wasn’t a fun prep. I’m currently working on a 12” Diplo that looks like it will be spectacular. This Cockerelites turned out well.

IMG_0882.thumb.jpeg.944e44bf901a957b6fc099037d7036cd.jpeg

• Enjoyed 6

Excellent prepping! That little Cockerelites looks like it spied a fossil Marsh Fly on the surface and is on the hunt.  Speaking of hunting...I'm heading back up to Kemmerer...either tomorrow or next week. Trying one of the other quarries. I need a few more finds for prepping before the winter comes a knocking.

Edited by SPrice

I know if you say its going to be spectacular it must have absolutely no flaws! Looking forward to that!

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

On 8/25/2023 at 4:58 PM, Top Trilo said:

I know if you say its going to be spectacular it must have absolutely no flaws! Looking forward to that!

Yah, one gets jaded pretty quickly working on these fish. Here’s the completed diplo.

Just a bit of disarticulation on the pelvic and dorsal fins. Otherwise, a perfectly preserved specimen. 

IMG_0885.thumb.jpeg.334184a6eceb991829620c99cdf84434.jpeg

• Enjoyed 8

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, RJB said:

A preppin machine you is!!!

RB

No rest for the weary. :P It's funny how a deadline for completion really pushes one into the prep lab on a regular basis. 

16 minutes ago, Kane said:

Gorgeous work!

Thank you sir. I need another bird to prep. Fish are getting boring. :default_rofl:

17 minutes ago, Randyw said:

More great jobs like always! Although I’m still trying to figure out your fish are getting boring comment…..LOL!

Familiarity breeds contempt. :default_rofl: I work on so many fish that the original excitement has long since worn off. Now, I really only get excited about them if there's something odd going on. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy prepping them. 

I knocked out another Cockerelites last night and most of the next one. Should wrap it up today and likely one more. These little fish prep pretty quickly. 

IMG_0910.thumb.jpeg.3570cb051d422113623e23981f5d8dd0.jpeg

I just got 20# of new iron powder (my wallet took a hit on that purchase) and wow, what a difference it makes. I’ve been recycling the same 30# for 2 years and it was really showing the wear. Also, the abrasive starts to get dusty as it gets recycled. Through the process of pushing it through the system and collecting it with a magnet, I think it builds up a slight positive charge and it starts to attract microscopic particles. There’s no cleaning this completely. The dust winds up acting like a binding agent and makes the abrasive compact in the hopper and stop flowing. 

I think I’ve solved this now. I was using 40 micron powder and have switched to 80 microns. I’m hopeful that the larger particles will not bind as badly when they get dusty.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 3

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I was using 40 micron powder and have switched to 80 microns. I’m hopeful that the larger particles will not bind as badly when they get dusty.

Or you'll just start making concretions for future generations to ponder over. :D

• Enjoyed 1

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.

Welcome to The Cockerelites Chanel. All Cockerelites all the time…

IMG_0912.thumb.jpeg.8278cfefa30f79437abd1af63f097b02.jpeg

This one has an interesting bit on the tail. 2 rays are shorter than the rest. It’s either healed predation or they just didn’t grow to full length.

• Enjoyed 5

30 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Welcome to The Cockerelites Chanel. All Cockerelites all the time…

Looking good so far. :thumbsu: So when can we expect reruns? :ironic:

Accomplishing the impossible means only that the boss will add it to your regular duties.