Help Id This Jaw

masalakulongwa

A friend is curious to hear opinions on who this was once a part of. It was brought up by a scallop boat off the coast of New Brunswick.

Thanks.

Wow!! That is sweet, it looks like a walrus.If you turn it upside down you will see that it is the upper part of the jaw attaches to the skull. That would be my guess. :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up: :Thumbs-up: :cool: :cool:

After looking at walurs skulls I really don't think it's walurs because of the tooth in the front. So it could be some kind of cat, I just don't know now. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

post-23-1204521012_thumb.jpg

post-23-1204558641_thumb.jpg

post-23-1204563815_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

A friend is curious to hear opinions on who this was once a part of. It was brought up by a scallop boat off the coast of New Brunswick.

Thanks.

It doesn't resemble anything I can think of using these images for clues. I note that we have three images of the thing, all from the same angle. More images from differing angles are required.

Walrus is probably the best guess.

Help us out with more pix!

-------Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

I think the "tusk" is coming out at the wrong angle for a narwhale, but I have no idea what it may be. My guess is some kind of aquatic mammal.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Guest N.AL.hunter

Well I do not know what it is, but it's structure makes little sense to me. In the frontal picture, the four smaller teeth are in front of the large 'tusk' type tooth. The would appear to make the four teeth useless for chewing, cutting... Just my observation. Very strange.

I wonder if its a "clump" of bones from one animal that are all stuck together. It could be walrus, and the tusk has moved to infront of the chewing teeth, before fossilization, and now it is all stuck together.

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

We have an ID, courtesy of the Royal Ontario Museum: "Very definitely Walrus. It is part of the skull, consisting mostly of the left maxilla, with the upper left tooth row including canine. In size it looks to be on the small side, so maybe subadult or female, but that's just a guess."

Thanks for all the input, and one star each for those who said walrus.

Ok, I was looking at a males skull thats what made the difference . Males do not have the teeth in front they are further back and females teeth are closer to the front. :Thumbs- Top is the male and on the bottom is the female.

post-23-1204604613_thumb.jpg

post-23-1204604711_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

It's my bone!!!

Ok, I was looking at a males skull thats what made the difference . Males do not have the teeth in front they are further back and females teeth are closer to the front. :Thumbs- left is the male and on the right is the female.

An excellent observation, Worthy!

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

From the resident pinniped paleontologist,

Thats a juvenile female walrus, definitely modern (probably not the extinct Ontocetus emmonsi). So, it likely belongs to Odobenus rosmarus.

One defining characteristic of walruses - the canine actually lies lateral to the rest of the toothrow - i.e. the rest of the teeth are closer to the middle of the skull.

Cool! Walrus remains are fairly abundant on the east coast, and have been dredged up out of lagoons and shallow bays occasionally.

Bobby

• I found this Informative 1