Preserving A Porous Surface

sgrbgr

I've got a whale bone that's porous and is seeming to deteriorate from the elements (it doesn't take much to break pieces off of it). Does anyone know of something that I can coat it with to prevent further damage?

Thanks,

Michelle

post-2338-12562855510158_thumb.jpg

well, yes and no. the problem is that it's being left outside. your "solutions" are pretty much the same as what would be possible with sealing/preserving masonry, so if you go to a hardware store and tell them that, you'll be able to shop what products exist. there are some super-gee-whiz epoxies and other resins that are used but would probably all be a "glossy" finish that definitely wouldn't look natural, and that stuff would be expensive. and if they got ugly over time, re-doing them wouldn't really be an option. then there are the typical water-seal products that provide much less protection but are easy to reapply.

for me, since the thing is already aged and damaged - i'd probably just let it do whatever it does and leave it alone. some things are meant to entertain us "forever", and some for a few years. particularly when you use them as landscaping.

Tracer's right....as long as it is outside, it's gonna do what it's gonna do. You can treat it as if it was wood to slow things down. Keep it clean (even though the moss looks awesome) and treat it with wood preservative. Most of them will change the appearance somewhat. The idea is to keep the water out.

• 1 month later...

I've got a whale bone that's porous and is seeming to deteriorate from the elements (it doesn't take much to break pieces off of it). Does anyone know of something that I can coat it with to prevent further damage?

Thanks,

Michelle

I have a friend who had a cool whale bone once but like you he used it as land scaping. it had been exposed for a 2 years (i live in iowa so the enviroment is harsh) and it started to crumble. then he brought it to me and i tried every thing to try and save it but it ended up as a brown pile of bone. So form the looks of your your ###### especially with the moss the roots are just ripping it up faster but you may stile have time. and for future refrence next time you find some thing like that #1 rule is never use it as landscaping.

-Frozen

PS take it in side itll last longer.

Michelle.....What a magic looking place for a whalebone to end up.....it could be the photo off the front of a box of chocolates..... :)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

This reminds me of a woman I knew many years ago that I gifted with a large calcite xl mass. She placed it in her rock garden where the elements went to work on it.

The moral; That which you place in Nature's grasp, she tries to reclaim...or; if you like something don't keep it outside. ;)

Be true to the reality you create.

Sometimes, even when you bring a fossil in-doors..You still need to preserve it or it may crumble. Read THIS thread for information on preventing that from happening.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png