Unknown Shark Teeth

Vball

I just bought these teeth from a lady in VA but I don't think they are from there. Can anyone ID some of the teeth & where this group might have come from or an age??? I only have one pic for now. I will take more when I receive them.

Thanks for any help.

post-1286-12564177386536_thumb.jpg

Sorry, shark teeth are not my cup of tea but try this web site elasmo.com it might help you . B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

They look like teeth from Morroco

They definitely have that Khouribga color. The phosphate mines there are Cretaceous-to-Eocene deposits.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's what I thought at first but I can't ID any of the teeth for sure. I see a couple of cow teeth but those hook looking teeth have me stumped.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The only place that I can find that might have teeth like these is Chile. I won't know for sure til I get them. Even then there could be questions. I just can't find any good matches in any of the Moroccan teeth I could find online. Just some maybes. I can only hope that they are from Chile!!!!!

It becomes a little more obvious when you realise that the pictures were taken in poor light (God, I'm good!);

post-1261-12564370206813_thumb.jpg

Edited by THobern

They're simply modern teeth that have been poorly stored, and some have yellowed over time. Some of them still have cartilage attached in places.

Pretty sure they are fossils from Chile Pliocene in age aprox. 4 million yrs old

Several upper and lower Prionace glauca or Blue Shark, also Odontaspis ferox or Small toothed Sand Tiger Shark, & It looks like a Megamouth and at least a couple Hexanchus gigas

If these aren't fossils I'm gonna be #####!!! Because they will have been colored to look like fossils

post-1286-12564498823028_thumb.jpg

post-1286-12564499031032_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vball

That and the fossils were taken in poor lighting; the camera wasn't scaled properly for indoor lighting, making the teeth appear to be more yellow than they actually are.

Edited by THobern

I'm starting to think I got taken, guess I'll see when I get them. They were represented as fossils but I'm thinking they aren't now. I don't know if I should return them or keep them. Only out 25 bucks so they are probably worth more than that but I don't collect modern teeth out of general principle.

This pisses me off because I only had about $30 total to spend on some fossil teeth and I could have gotten something else. I Thought I was getting some I didn't have for my collection.

Here's a sure(fired) way to tell if you have any broken ones hold one with tweezers and heat it with a lighter if it burns and stinks kinda like burnt hair its not fossilized haha (Runs and hides before the other members start throwing things lol)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

I still think that they're modern. They haven't been coloured, but have simply yellowed over time.

Indeed, I also think they are modern.

I see (among others) a modern cow shark, a lot of Prionace glauca, and some Odontaspis ferox teeth.

Prionace is a very rare fossil species, not so rare when they're modern since they're often caught, and in this lot there's plenty of them.

It has "modern" written all over it...

Still nice teeth though.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I unfortunately hadn't figured out what they were before I bought them or I would have known they were probably to good to be true. Like you said they are rare and probably some I would not get other wise so I guess not all is bad. After all they are Holocene age right (Lol)

Update not that it is any surprise but the teeth are for sure modern!!! Ups to Thobern for spotting that so quick!!! There are 20 upper and lower Prionace glauca or Blue Shark, also 12 Odontaspis ferox or Small toothed Sand Tiger Shark 4 of them pretty close to perfect. The big surprise was 5 Hexanchus gigas including a perfect lower that wasn't in the picture plus a jaw peice with 4 rows of Hexanchus lowers.

I guess I lucked out on this one but I still have a few questions about how to care for these. First how do I clean them??? Then whats the best way to preserve them. I've heard clear nail polish. is this correct???

Any help would be great and once again thanks to all those who responded.

Hi,

If your teeth are moderns, you don't need to put varnish on them. They can be preserved without anything on them.

You can soak them in some freshwater with just a little product to wash the dishes, and then brush them delicately with a ... toothbrush. Be careful with the little cusplets each side on the one they have, they are fragile, don't break them.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Hydrogen peroxide works and won't damage them. Test it on one of the lesser teeth.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!