Holzmaden Advice

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

I will soon be visiting Holzmaden in Germany. Does anyone have any advice on how to find fossils there? (Which quarry to go to, where to look for fossils inside off the quarry, etc.)

@belemniten @Ludwigia

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

7 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

I will soon be visiting Holzmaden in Germany. Does anyone have any advice on how to find fossils there? (Which quarry to go to, where to look for fossils inside off the quarry, etc.)

@belemniten @Ludwigia

http://www.schieferbruch-kromer.de/

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yeah the quarry Kromer is the only quarry there where you can find something good. But at the moment its very difficult to find marine reptile stuff so I wouldnt expect to find something like that. You can still find belemnites, ammonites and bivalves.

• I found this Informative 3

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

15 hours ago, belemniten said:

Yeah the quarry Kromer is the only quarry there where you can find something good. But at the moment its very difficult to find marine reptile stuff so I wouldnt expect to find something like that. You can still find belemnites, ammonites and bivalves.

Can you leave Germany with fossils? Any restrictions? Do they provide documentation at the quarry? Just asking so Thecosmilia Trichitoma doesn't get surprised.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

17 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Can you leave Germany with fossils? Any restrictions? Do they provide documentation at the quarry? Just asking so Thecosmilia Trichitoma doesn't get surprised.

Good points. I honestly dont know that maybe @Ludwigia knows more about that.

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif