best sifter to use?

Therizinosaurus

I have only been on one fossil hunting trip before and i used other peoples equipment. I was wondering if there's a preferred brand or type of sifter to use? I am mainly going after sharks teeth and shells if that is important. I will be searching on a sandy beach.

21 minutes ago, Therizinosaurus said:

I have only been on one fossil hunting trip before and i used other peoples equipment.

Hi There,

Every trip is different for me when it comes to what and what does not work for the particular location.  Some locations the fossils are spread out over large areas and sifting doesn't really make much sense when you can walk , cover vast distances, and be more productive.  (ie. let mother nature do the sifting)

Some members will carry little scoops on telescoping arms so they can snatch teeth from under the waves and low water line.

In some spots on the river I know the formation and natural sifting of the sediments has created a great collection, honey hole .. whatever you want to call it .. but it has sorted the cobbles/sand by size and the sifter with a combination sand-flea rake works fantastic.  Especially if the spot is submerged.

The sand flea rake comes in a few different widths.  This rake has a mesh size of 1/2". I think I'm up to 14-16" wide now ?  My original was 10" or so.  They wear out eventually but get a solid welded aluminum one like this one pictured with a solid aluminum mesh.  Not the chicken wire looking mesh ones.  Those will get eaten up and destroyed your first time out.

shopping.thumb.jpg.c4498ea70eb7424b55d343d357f6ed83.jpg

The sifter I use, if I know there is a spot I can use it, is something like this.  It has a 1/4" mesh. It has nice wooden gate handles now so I can get a firm grip (don't kill my back).  There are so many versions of this design you will find here and elsewhere online.  Mine needs to be indestructible ... thus the design. Something lighter may serve you better. I tried a colander once .. never again. The larger the mesh the faster you can sift but the less of the small stuff will remain.  I don't mind the small stuff.

The guys on the Peace River have sifters that are twice as large and half as heavy as this probably is. Using PVC etc ....

sifter.thumb.jpg.f81db39144e9b55f5c0729dcceeb1966.jpg

It really depends on the site.  I will say that I have found some of my best teeth by just skimming right under the surface with the rake.  Not something you will find by just scanning the surface.  Some spots that were hit hard in the day .. I pulled up some fantastic gems using a combination of rake and sifter in a hole.  You just need to know where to look and that just takes time, alot of work, and experience.

Good Luck,

Brett

20 hours ago, Therizinosaurus said:

I have only been on one fossil hunting trip before and i used other peoples equipment. I was wondering if there's a preferred brand or type of sifter to use? I am mainly going after sharks teeth and shells if that is important. I will be searching on a sandy beach.

On an oceanfront beach I think you'll be more productive just walking looking. In other words efficient. You'll cover the same amount of sand that would take you a couple minutes to dig and search in about 10 seconds. Unless you dig a spot that is a honey hole of fossils you will find more by walking and letting the waves do the work. The more ground you cover, the more you will find. Digging confines you to one spot at a time that may be fruitless. And the next one may be also. And the next, and the next. Now, in a creek or river it's a completely different story.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!