Arm Bone?

Nick Yiu

;) Since I hadn't actually seen complete dinosaur bone on display, so I'm not sure at which part or on what animal subject may belong.

But i suspect it must be from Raptors' arm. The least i could describe the object is; It still has the ivory like coating and smoothness on the surface, and its' sides had obvious sign of bitemarks.

Edited by Nick Yiu

Nick do you have a pictures

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Nick, you...should take a clear photo of the "ends". Also, what is the geologic origin? There's not much to suggest dinosaur, in the first photo.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nick, you...should take a clear photo of the "ends". Also, what is the geologic origin? There's not much to suggest dinosaur, in the first photo.

Dear John,

Thanks for the effort., I found the specimen and lots of fragments on the shore, so I can't actually tell the geologic age of the area. But one thing, if you're familar with Armored Mud Balls which i think is in the range of Triasic age. It might be safe to assume that the bone is somewhere in that same period based on this other finds.

Thanks for the time shared.

post-2295-12566144471938_thumb.jpg

The end looks to me rather like a coral.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nick,

Hoping it is something you want it to be will not make it so...go with the highest percentage "guesses" to get close to the correct ID. Research from that point will often get you a precise identification. There is not much at all that would suggest a "raptor arm", so I'm not sure how you arrived at that "guess". However, your specimen does share multiple characteristics with some species of coral. What do you really think it is?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nick, if you were a coral collector instead of a fossil collector, you'd be king of the world. Looks like coral to me bud.

Yea I think it is coral also. Nick you seem to be hunting a place rich in coral, I would study up on the different kinds you might find. There could be some rare ones in your area.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Hello All,

Thanks for taking time sharing your opinion and visiting my thread. Sad to say, i'm sorry of this disappointing belief of my being Coral King. I don't collect Corral except for one that appears like it on my Pleistocene material thread.

This one is for real. I may not had the academic background anyone has, but based on the thing i held closed to my scrutinizing eyes, I daresays it's a Bone..., The exposed sides of the specimen however appears something like Coral. But it's in effect resulted from microscopic organism eating their way inside...., Simmilarly, I'd seen Clams with lots of holes on the surface.

I wish I could easily take the object to where you are, so you may for sure know why I do insist on this belief.

Thanks for the time. Best wishes...., :)

Edited by Nick Yiu

nick -

it may be that at some point members familiar with your postings come to understand that your collecting world is somewhat different from where they are. and the treasures you are seeing up close are not what we see through your photographs. but at any rate, you might consider posting your "medusa effect" treasures under the "collections" topic rather than the "fossil I.D." topic, so that others can realize you're presenting them for our enjoyment, rather than to ask us what they are, since you're already confident in your assessment of them.

tracer

This one is for real. I may not had the academic background anyone has, but based on the thing i held closed to my scrutinizing eyes, I daresays it's a Bone..., The exposed sides of the specimen however appears something like Coral. But it's in effect resulted from microscopic organism eating their way inside...., Simmilarly, I'd seen Clams with lots of holes on the surface.

No, it's not. This is very obviously a piece of coral. The end of this specimen identifies it very clearly as a piece of coral. I've never seen or heard of a bone that looks like that on the side before - and that shouldn't be taken to mean it could be a totally new type of organism. Sorry for being coarse, but this fossil bears no resemblance to a vertebrate fossil. It IS, however, a coral.

Bobby

"Do I contradict myself?

Very well, then, I contradict myself.

I am large. I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman

If you know what do you have (raptor's arm or fossil sea horse) why do you ask ID for them when you don't believe what other collectors say? :blink:

Maybe you want post pic of your collections in Member collection -section?

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Nick I must agree with the others why don't post in members collections or hunting trips. You already have ID the piece to what you want them to be and it seems you are not ready to listen to any other ID. My fear is you maybe influencing others maybe school children in to your unorthodox and I am sorry uneducated believes.

I think the problem here is that it's very difficult for a person to assess the gaps in their understanding, as they obviously don't know about them.

Edited by THobern

nick -

it may be that at some point members familiar with your postings come to understand that your collecting world is somewhat different from where they are. and the treasures you are seeing up close are not what we see through your photographs. but at any rate, you might consider posting your "medusa effect" treasures under the "collections" topic rather than the "fossil I.D." topic, so that others can realize you're presenting them for our enjoyment, rather than to ask us what they are, since you're already confident in your assessment of them.

tracer

Hi Tracer,

Thanks for the idea. I never really thought of it because I don't want to jump outright into conclusions without first knowing sentiments from fellow members.

Yes in-deed, I would really much like to show these unusuality to the world for their enjoyment.

Thanks for the encouragement.