Can't Figure This One Out

Ryker

I've searched several websites and books, but I can't figure out what this is. Any ideas? It's hard to see from the photos, but the bottom edge that is still mostly encased in the rock appears to be a shell. ???

post-2153-12567509774159_thumb.jpgpost-2153-12567510037651_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will get your answer, there are a lot of experts here, to me it looks like a shell of some type, perhaps you may want to add location and formation where it was found. :) Oh, and very nice! B)

There seems to be some symmetry to the markings, like they could be chamber walls or sutures of an ammonite.... it could be a section of an ammonite.... where the shell has worn away revealing the internal structure....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Looks like Goniatite suture pattern to me

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I totally agree with you! Goniatite family of Nautiloids will match! I found some of them in my trips...

Thanks for the info, taking that in to account, I think you are right. Since it is broken and incomplete, I wasn't recognizing it for what it was. Thanks again.

It is a goniatite, but goniatites are ammonoids (which is broken down into goniatites, ceratites, and ammonites) rather than nautiloids.

It is a goniatite, but goniatites are ammonoids (which is broken down into goniatites, ceratites, and ammonites) rather than nautiloids.

Yes,Thank you! I was confused with the term Goniatites suture. They were the grandfathers of ammonoids! ;)

Nautiloid sutures have less complexity to them compared to ammonites... Usually just arc'd slightly ...looking at the chamber walls on the goniatite specimen is well on its way to becomming an ammonite.... :P

Nautiloid Suture markings

post-1630-1256896285665_thumb.jpg post-1630-1256896330082_thumb.jpg

Ammonite Suture markings

post-1630-12568962262556_thumb.jpg post-1630-12568962598566_thumb.jpg

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

This was found in Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains near Jasper. Boone Formation, Mississipian Era.

You're pretty close to me!

Nautiloid sutures have less complexity to them compared to ammonites... Usually just arc'd slightly ...looking at the chamber walls on the goniatite specimen is well on its way to becomming an ammonite.... :P

Nautiloid Suture markings

post-1630-1256896285665_thumb.jpg post-1630-1256896330082_thumb.jpg

Ammonite Suture markings

post-1630-12568962262556_thumb.jpg post-1630-12568962598566_thumb.jpg

simply amazing specimens. can't even figure out what adjectives to throw out about them.