Forum Trip To Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

In addition, a lot of gastropods bore through crinoids, brachiopods, mollusks, etc to get to the soft parts and comsume those.

In addition, a lot of gastropods bore through crinoids, brachiopods, mollusks, etc to get to the soft parts and comsume those.

Gastropod photo 1 attached to coral photo 2 underside from Hungry Hollow. PL

post-2446-12593203288713_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12593204033116_thumb.jpg

..(hence Solius saying coprophageous -look it up)...
I did that the other day when I first encountered the term...wasn't sure whether he was joking or not though. :blush:

Gee, it is looking like the answer to my question is going to be that the gastropods in question here may well have been predating on the crinoids and corals in the Hungry Hollow formation reef. DO you think so? It is sort - of looking that way to me now, that looks like a pretty firm lip - lock the gastropod has on Pleecan's coral, close enough to scrape the tops off of any coral animal that stuck his little head out while the snail was there. Adding that to Crinus' statement on the gastropods ability and habit of drilling through shell material to eat the animals inside leads me to suspect that the snails were far from the benign state that I had previously assigned them to.

Like maybe they were eating the soft tissue from the crinoid's exterior. :(

Gastropod photo 1 attached to coral photo 2 underside from Hungry Hollow. PL

Guys

This is NOT an example of a gastropod attached to a coral. This is the coral Favosites turbinatus. That is what they look like. It is almost like a cross between a horn coral and some type of Favosites. These corals are not common in the Hungry Hollow but they are not rare. A friend of mine has over a 100 of these. I have probably 10-20 and only because I only kept the finest. You can see two of these on my Web Page.

crinus

Edited by crinus

Adding that to Crinus' statement on the gastropods ability and habit of drilling through shell material to eat the animals inside leads me to suspect that the snails were far from the benign state that I had previously assigned them to.

Like maybe they were eating the soft tissue from the crinoid's exterior. :(

In this case, it probably was a benign state. Some of these crinoids/gastropods grew into large specimens. There is a professor here at U of M that studies gastropod predation and is always looking for specimens of crinoids with bore holes. Couple of years ago I got him a specimen of a Macrocrinus with a gastropod attached. He had CAT scans done and found a bore hole under the gastropod. This usually happens if the crinoid has an ###### tube and the gastropod cannot get to the ###### opening as is the case for Decorocrinus out of Arkona. In the case of Decorcrinus that calyx is too small for a gastropod to attach and drill a hole. Probably why I have never seen a Decorocrinus out of Arkona with a snail.

crinus

PS I see that the word for where feces comes out of the crinoid is not allowed on the forum. It is what crinoidlogists call it. The word is a n a l.

Edited by crinus

Guys

This is NOT an example of a gastropod attached to a coral. This is the coral Favosites turbinatus. Web Page.

crinus

Thank you Crinus for the clarification and ID. The darker brownish elf like hat had me fooled... had similar appearence to the exterior of a gastropod shell.

PL

Thank you Crinus for the clarification and ID. The darker brownish elf like hat had me fooled... had similar appearence to the exterior of a gastropod shell.

PL

I have actually heard of a professor looking for evidence that these grew in discarded gastropod shells and thus got the shape of a gastropod. I have seen a lot of these and never encountered a gastropod shell attached to this coral. I think he is in LA LA land.

crinus

I have actually heard of a professor looking for evidence that these grew in discarded gastropod shells and thus got the shape of a gastropod. I have seen a lot of these and never encountered a gastropod shell attached to this coral. I think he is in LA LA land.

crinus

Crinus as an aside... you have an excellent website.... really nice fossil specimens... first class preparations. Really enjoyed viewing your web site; each fossil can be used as a great diagnostic/reference for fossil id... beautiful collection! PL

Guest solius symbiosus

Kind of interesting how some things rare in your area are common up here and also the reverse.

Yep, it is. This area was a carbonate bank off the southern tip of the mountain range that formed a peninsula jutting off of Laurentia. I guess you guys were nearer to the coast along the southern shore where the continent started its western land mass. This area was along the equator.

Curiously, too, while the Mid-Late Ordovician was characterized by transgressing seas, a small area(a couple of hundred km²) around here experience regression... hence, all the clastics. The Taconic Orogeny was a weird time in these parts that still isn't totally understood.

Yep, it is. This area was a carbonate bank off the southern tip of the mountain range that formed a peninsula jutting off of Laurentia. I guess you guys were nearer to the coast along the southern shore where the continent started its western land mass. This area was along the equator.

Curiously, too, while the Mid-Late Ordovician was characterized by transgressing seas, a small area(a couple of hundred km²) around here experience regression... hence, all the clastics. The Taconic Orogeny was a weird time in these parts that still isn't totally understood.

Solius,

I'm interested in knowing more about this sort of thing. Any leads on where one would look for this kind of information?

Thanks!

Edited by michigantim

Crinus as an aside... you have an excellent website.... really nice fossil specimens... first class preparations. Really enjoyed viewing your web site; each fossil can be used as a great diagnostic/reference for fossil id... beautiful collection! PL

Same here - great job Crinus! Great reference for us area enthusiasts too. I especially like the Kyliella, though the fossilization process appears to have stalled on this specimen.......

OK, the gastropods are off the hook - this time. They had better watch their step in the future though. <_<

Guest solius symbiosus

Solius,

I'm interested in knowing more about this sort of thing. Any leads on where one would look for this kind of information?

Thanks!

THIS is a good start.

Here is one of those micros that I promised, from my cheap digital scope:

gallery_2209_628_33827.jpg

It is about 1.5 mm long, looks like a bivalve of some kind….

gallery_2209_628_96979.jpg

A little closer look.

And here V is a close – up of that Greenops pygidium, just because I could. :D

gallery_2209_628_86157.jpg

Nice pic Bear... alway neat to be able to see micro fossils up close... that are so much the human eye misses... that a camera/microscope can capture. PL

Thanks Pleecan. The scope was pretty cheap, but it does seem to do the basic work. I have been having a good time with it, though recently I have been feeling the desire for a better unit. My wife has been able to restrain me thus far, however......

Nov28/09 : There is no snow on the ground... temperature above freezing ... rain had stop... drove +400 km round trip to Arkona

Was at Hungry Hollow today exploring the south clay pit Arkona formation.... had a great day... stomped through the mud in my black rubber boots... after about an hour... feet were frozen.... boots were not insulated... lots of fun. PL

post-2446-12594580298188_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594582233058_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594584167505_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594585605589_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594587594064_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594589213593_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594590878405_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594592878383_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594597433049_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594599081241_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594600584829_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594601717459_thumb.jpg

Nov28/09 : There is no snow on the ground... temperature above freezing ... rain had stop... drove +400 km round trip to Arkona

Was at Hungry Hollow today exploring the south clay pit Arkona formation.... had a great day... stomped through the mud in my black rubber boots... after about an hour... feet were frozen.... boots were not insulated... lots of fun. PL

Y'know, PL, I find myself slipping into the habit of smilin' when I see you've posted :)

That is a pretty pile of finds, and the pics are great..."lots of fun"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Y'know, PL, I find myself slipping into the habit of smilin' when I see you've posted :)

That is a pretty pile of finds, and the pics are great..."lots of fun"!

Thanks Auspex. Fossil collecting has been a very rewarding hobby... wished I had started 40 yrs sooner :) PL

Good score indeed, Pleecan.

..wished I had started 40 yrs sooner..
Heh - I started when I was about 8 years old, pulled a fish fossil out of a cliff face about 30 feet up at Gaviota Beach, CA. Still have it. :D That was more than 50 years ago now and I am still digging and collecting, I just got slower and more particular. ;)

More pyritized gem like fossils from Hungry Hollow / Arkona from yesterdays trip.... amost looks like real gold bits.

I also posted an unknown fossil almost looks like white caterpillar but it not as soft tissue does not preserve unless sometime wierd happens ie volcanic ash or pyritization.... conodont? PL

post-2446-12594998401955_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12594999841989_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595001229176_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595002480648_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595006046592_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595008492893_thumb.jpg

I'd be leaning more toward a section of horn coral. Conodont teeth/jaw elements, to my knowledge, are microscopic, less than 1mm or so.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

It is about 1.5 mm long, looks like a bivalve of some kind….

gallery_2209_628_96979.jpg

A little closer look.

Looks like ostracods to me. These are very common thoughout all rock layers at Arkona. There are a couple of publication on ostracods from U of M that may be of help. One deals with Silica ostracods and the other with Devonian of the Great Lakes region. Digitized copies cam be found under U of M deepblue. Devinain Ostracods

crinus

I also posted an unknown fossil almost looks like white caterpillar but it not as soft tissue does not preserve unless sometime wierd happens ie volcanic ash or pyritization.... conodont? PL

Definitely not a conodont. Maybe some type of coral. Can you take a picture of the top or bottom?

crinus

PS nice ammonites. you spent a lot of time on your hands and knees.

Edited by crinus