Forum Trip To Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

Definitely not a conodont. Maybe some type of coral. Can you take a picture of the top or bottom?

crinus

PS nice ammonites. you spent a lot of time on your hands and knees.

Attached are 4 pics as requested.

Yes, my back is real sore this morning as I was hunched over on a weird angle.... rubber boots stuck to the 60 degree slope like suction cups... hunch over a 1'-2' from ground for 4 hrs... getting old as I can't see close up with the old glasses need to get some bifocals.... ended up not wearing any glasses.... it probably would have been better off crawling on all 4 paws in the mud for stability. :) PL

post-2446-12595178469611_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595179380643_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595180298852_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595181266939_thumb.jpg

Are they ammonites, or goniatites?

Goniatites is more correct descriptor... having undivided lobes and saddles compared to the more complex ammonite fluted sutures. PL

PS nice ammonites. you spent a lot of time on your hands and knees.

Thanks Crinus. Had lots of fun and an end to the fossil hunting season... getting cold with snow on the way next week. PL

Guest solius symbiosus

Goniatites is more correct descriptor...

The is a Missippippian outcrop around here that produces some nice ones, I have been told. One of these days I will check it out.

Thanks for the link Bear....Northern Sharks mentioned the fossil in question is too big to be a conodonts... Crinus does not think so either.... maybe it is some sort of Coral as Northern Sharks had mentioned earlier. PL

Could this be a devonian fish armor? Found in the south clay pit at Hungry Hollow stuck in the muck. On one side rough like sandpaper with black bumps denticles?... other side is light color almost bonelike no bumps... approx 2mm thick edge on. PL

post-2446-12595335865397_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595337177494_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12595338819678_thumb.jpg

I'd be leaning more toward a section of horn coral. Conodont teeth/jaw elements, to my knowledge, are microscopic, less than 1mm or so.

Good point Kevin. PL

There is a Missippippian outcrop around here that produces some nice ones, I have been told. One of these days I will check it out.

Lots fun digging for any fossils... that anticipation of self discovery, peering into another time era... just amazing, and rewarding. PL

Good evening, Pleecan. Gee, I can't say on that one.

I may have a juvenile falsipollex laxivlatus myself, thanks for the link. The surface pattern is more like a lacrimosa or perhaps a treposella stellata, however. I am guessing it is a juvenile caraprace though, as it is morphologically smooth and not convoluted like the adults.

Isn't Arkona fun? (on the way up, they always give me a weird look at the border and ask if I have family there or something. Even worse on the way back when I declare that I have acquired dirty rocks from Hungry Hollow to bring back. They never want to look at them either. :( )

Good evening, Pleecan. Gee, I can't say on that one.

I may have a juvenile falsipollex laxivlatus myself, thanks for the link. The surface pattern is more like a lacrimosa or perhaps a treposella stellata, however. I am guessing it is a juvenile caraprace though, as it is morphologically smooth and not convoluted like the adults.

Isn't Arkona fun? (on the way up, they always give me a weird look at the border and ask if I have family there or something. Even worse on the way back when I declare that I have acquired dirty rocks from Hungry Hollow to bring back. They never want to look at them either. :( )

Hi Bear: Thanks for the info on the potential fish armor. Arkona is a blast! Took me 6 yrs to finally visit the place, partially because I ran out of places to fossil hunt locally and needed to expand my travel radius, Northern Sharks is also reponsible for mentioning Arkona while a group of semi crazed fossil hunters were fossil hunting in Bowmanville ON. PL

10) Tim's Greenops. You can see one genal spine and 1 eye, plus the complete thorax and pygydium. It went home with Crinus to be prepped, should be a beauty

Finished

post-391-12596291091397_thumb.jpg

post-391-12596292408035_thumb.jpg post-391-12596291734882_thumb.jpg

Really nice work Joe! Tim's greenops came out really well. Did you coat the trilobite with anything special to protect the finish?ie wax or an acrylic? PL

Wow! That Greenops looks great, Joe!

Thanks! :D

Nice day of collecting, too, Pleecan. You're finds cleaned up really nice, and your photos are great.

I went back to Hungry Hollow on the 24th. Didn't spend too much time surface collecting. Most of the day was on the south side at the bluff, trying to score another trilobite. There was a lot of soft Widder at the base, filled with trilobite-bits. I did find a super nice cephalopod in the clay, about 5" long and 3/4" at the widest. Nicely detailed, but when I went to put it in my collecting box, and tipped it, the whole thing disintegrated. Lots of gastropods, a couple of decent plecopods. After about 3 hours of looking at stuff, I was getting a bit frustrated, and, pulling open a chunk of clay, said, "well, you gonna give me one?!" And out came the bug below.

I'm not sure what poorer, the trilobite or my photo. Most of his thorax is on the mold side. I'm not sure if it can be restored, or if it's worth it. Perhaps a practice piece. Plus, the Widder it's in is clay. I'm assuming it needs to be slow-cured before it can be worked.

I also found a squashed, rolled Greenops, with about half his face gone (no photo).

Then I was looking in the bluff at the Hungry Hollow mb. and spotted a coral I couldn't leave behind. I'm assuming it's a Favosites, but I couldn't find the species. It's 16 3/4" at the widest.

Great day. Got super dirty.

post-2436-12596626553888_thumb.jpg

Edited by michigantim

Wow! That Greenops looks great, Joe!

Thanks! :D

Nice day of collecting, too, Pleecan. You're finds cleaned up really nice, and your photos are great.

I went back to Hungry Hollow on the 24th. ...And out came the bug below.

I'm not sure what poorer, the trilobite or my photo. Most of his thorax is on the mold side. I'm not sure if it can be restored, or if it's worth it. Perhaps a practice piece. Plus, the Widder it's in is clay. I'm assuming it needs to be slow-cured before it can be worked.

I also found a squashed, rolled Greenops, with about half his face gone (no photo).

Nice finds Tim. The trilobite although hard to see may be a Coronura, should be a nice specimen when cleaned up. Looks like you had a great day! I think Hungry Hollow has become one of my favorite places to hunt. PL :

Nice finds Tim. The trilobite although hard to see may be a Coronura, should be a nice specimen when cleaned up. Looks like you had a great day! I think Hungry Hollow has become one of my favorite places to hunt. PL :

I am quite sure that it is a Greenops. The checklist does not list a Coronura and one has not be found since the list came out.

Excellent job on the prep, Crinus. That is one sweet coral Tim! I am actually slightly envious now...it was likely the Greenops that put me over the edge. :blink: A 16.5 inch diameter coral is something special too though. Both are very nice indeed.

I guess that it is obvious that Arkona and the Hollow are my favourite areas too. ;)

Really nice work Joe! Tim's greenops came out really well. Did you coat the trilobite with anything special to protect the finish?ie wax or an acrylic? PL

I spray Krylon Matte Finish on all my fossils. After I spray the fossil I remove it off the matrix and thus the contrast. Using an air abrasive you loose the natural luster a fossil has the the Krylon restores it. It is a very thin film that is easily removed using an air abrasive.

crinus

I spray Krylon Matte Finish on all my fossils. After I spray the fossil I remove it off the matrix and thus the contrast. Using an air abrasive you loose the natural luster a fossil has the the Krylon restores it. It is a very thin film that is easily removed using an air abrasive.

crinus

Thank you Joe for the information... you are a master of the craft of fossil prep with air abrasives... the contrast is really nice. The coating now sounds familiar... now I remember as you had mentioned it a few yrs back when I met you at Carden Quarry.

Would you be able to share the type of grit/ size combo mixture, nozzle size , air pressures used on Greenops prep? Do you use a mixture of limestone dust or aluminum oxides , SiC, FeSi, baking soda, glass materials as sandblasting media? PL

Thank you Joe for the information... you are a master of the craft of fossil prep with air abrasives... the contrast is really nice. The coating now sounds familiar... now I remember as you had mentioned it a few yrs back when I met you at Carden Quarry.

Would you be able to share the type of grit/ size combo mixture, nozzle size , air pressures used on Greenops prep? Do you use a mixture of limestone dust or aluminum oxides , SiC, FeSi, baking soda, glass materials as sandblasting media? PL

I use powdered limestone (45microns)and mix it with aluminum oxide(200 grit). 10 parts limstone to about 1 part aluminum oxide plus any recycled powder I may have. I used a Comco tip (purple) which I think is .0012 inch. The air pressure on the air abrasive is about 60-100 psi depending what I am trying to remove. Most of the work is done with an air scribe. One does not use the air abrasive for all the work. The "before and after" page of my web site describes the air scribes that I use.

Thank you Joe for sharing the techniques in air abrasion... I am glad that you mentioned that you use an air scribe for the majority of work... saves on grit usage. Once I used 100% aluminum oxide or 100% silicon carbide and end up drilling holes into the fossil... right through the trilobite carpace ... live and learn. PL

Heh - I started when I was about 8 years old, pulled a fish fossil out of a cliff face about 30 feet up at Gaviota Beach, CA. Still have it. :D That was more than 50 years ago now and I am still digging and collecting, I just got slower and more particular. ;)

It is interesting how people got started into fossil collecting. That is a lot of experience Bear! Have a look under Canada/Odgen Point posting... I posted my experience of my first fossil find which got me into the fossil collecting hobby... I have only 1/10 your experience in the field...The digital photo time stamp tell me that I started the hobby Aug 2004 mere 5 yrs of fossil collect experience. PL

Bear,

Crinus is correct. It's an ostracod. It's from the Ponderodictya genus - one of the "larger" ostracods found at Arkona. Given the size estimate of 1.5mm, it is probably Ponderodictya punctulifera. Nice find!

Arcyzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Pleecan,

Regarding your pictures posted on 19 November...

Sorry for late reply. I'd agree with the other members - the left photo looks like a Greenops tail (pydigum spelling?). The conodonts I've found in the Arkona Formation are brown in color and look like tiny jaws. The scolecodonts are black.

The right hand picture is probably an ostracod as you suspected. If you could remove the speck of rock on the left side that is overhanging the specimen it would show the rest of the carapace. But it may not help with identification unless we are looking at the exterior of the shell.

Arcyzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Thanks for the ID, Arcyzona. An ostracod it is - and a huge one! There certainly are quite a few of those puppies. I think I hurt my eyes going through the picture collection from UM back there....

No apologies needed for tardiness, this stuff has been sitting around for quite a few million years waiting for us to discuss them. A few more days or hours won't really matter. :)

Still a newb, eh Pleecan? :D My dad used to take us out fossil hunting in California when I was a mere lad. When I was 8 years old we were going out into the Mojave with Dr Yeagert from UCLA to look for fossils and minerals near Death Valley. I recall quite clearly visiting a micropaleontologist in her lab when I was 9. She dissolved concretions and then looked through the remaining silicate silt for her specimens. Her lab was in the back of her house, the first time I realized that one could live in there lab if one so desired. :)

When I was 9 I spent a scorching hot day out in the Duran Loop near Calico Ghost Town digging a hounds tooth spar crystal from out a hole. It sits on my bench to this day...kinda gives me a feel of personal history. My family thought that I was nuts.

They were correct. :D