Forum Trip To Hungry Hollow

Northern Sharks

Pleecan,

Regarding your pictures posted on 19 November...

Sorry for late reply. I'd agree with the other members - the left photo looks like a Greenops tail (pydigum spelling?). The conodonts I've found in the Arkona Formation are brown in color and look like tiny jaws. The scolecodonts are black.

The right hand picture is probably an ostracod as you suspected. If you could remove the speck of rock on the left side that is overhanging the specimen it would show the rest of the carapace. But it may not help with identification unless we are looking at the exterior of the shell.

Arcyzona

Thanks for your insights Arcyzona. PL

Here is a photo of two conodonts I found in the Arkona Shale. I believe that they are both from the genus Icriodus. I still remember the morning I found my first conodont - it thrilled me for days. :wub: Probably that is what hooked me on micros!

post-2453-12598988545341_thumb.jpg

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

:D My dad used to take us out fossil hunting in California when I was a mere lad. When I was 8 years old we were going out into the Mojave with Dr Yeagert from UCLA to look for fossils and minerals near Death Valley. I recall quite clearly visiting a micropaleontologist in her lab when I was 9. She dissolved concretions and then looked through the remaining silicate silt for her specimens. Her lab was in the back of her house, the first time I realized that one could live in there lab if one so desired. :)

When I was 9 I spent a scorching hot day out in the Duran Loop near Calico Ghost Town digging a hounds tooth spar crystal from out a hole. It sits on my bench to this day...kinda gives me a feel of personal history. My family thought that I was nuts.

They were correct. :D

That is great start! Looks like you had an exciting childhood. PL

Yeah....50 years later and I still am! :D EDIT: having an exciting childhood, that is. ;)

Hope that you didn't strain your back carrying those out of the pits, Acryzona. I am impressed that you even saw them in the first place, those are pretty diminutive specimens, for sure.

Edited by Bear

Here is a photo of two conodonts I found in the Arkona Shale. I believe that they are both from the genus Icriodus. I still remember the morning I found my first conodont - it thrilled me for days. :wub: Probably that is what hooked me on micros!

post-2453-12598988545341_thumb.jpg

Acryzona: Thanks for posting those neat photos.... I am getting my education on Arkona conodonts :) Have you hunted in the Eramosa Lagerstatte biota for articulated Silurian conodonts preserved in pyrite... neat stuff. PL

Pleecan,

I've never heard of the Eramosa - just now looked it up on Wikipeda and Google. Have you hunted there? Next time I'm in area (next year?) I'll try to stop by.

Arcyzona

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

Pleecan,

I've never heard of the Eramosa - just now looked it up on Wikipeda and Google. Have you hunted there? Next time I'm in area (next year?) I'll try to stop by.

Arcyzona

Not yet... area has potential. Also there is a Lagerstatte in Iowa that contains interesting conodonts with soft body preservation ordovician biota. PL

Guest solius symbiosus
Also there is a Lagerstatte in Iowa

If memory serves, that one is a relatively recent discovery. There is also a new one in Wales that will be published soon. The one in Wales will shed some light on soft tissue scolecodont morphology... very interesting as so little is known.

Yesterday I met up with some friends who asked what I was up to these days. I told them of this forum and this thread....accidentally shared some of the details. You should have seen the looks I got........

Guest solius symbiosus

I love this thread... one of the best on the forum!

invert geekiness over ride... Iiii caann't' conttrrro0o0o0l...

post-179-12600209457322_thumb.jpg

I am so right there with you on those sentiments! :D

My son informs me that I indeed qualify as a "geek", but adds that comes in handy when teaching him to build computers and such. ;)

Mine is a treasure indeed, though he is going to start costing me a lot more money when he starts university next year......not that he is inexpensive now! :rolleyes:

If memory serves, that one is a relatively recent discovery. There is also a new one in Wales that will be published soon. The one in Wales will shed some light on soft tissue scolecodont morphology... very interesting as so little is known.

Soft tissue preservation is a neat topic....

Solius your memory is correct... 2006 Iowa Lagerstatte was discovered...

La Liu Huaibao, McKay,R. M., Young, J. M., Witzke, B. J., McVey, K. J. and Liu Xiuying, 2006: A new lagerstatte from the Midle Ordovician St. Peter Formation in northeast Iowa, USA. Geology 34, 969-972.

Eramosa Laggerstatte discovered in 2007... have you or do you know of any one, have hunted in this biota... interesting area to explore. PL

*makes a note to remember "schleritization" of soft body parts*

Bear: Thanks for the correct terminology. :) PL

The scope was pretty cheap, but it does seem to do the basic work. I have been having a good time with it, though recently I have been feeling the desire for a better unit. My wife has been able to restrain me thus far, however......

Hi Bear: Took a while to think about a ultilitarian approach... Assuming you already have a stereo dissecting microscope.... I have been playing with digital photomicroscope for quite sometime and have gained a lot of experience and know what works and what doesn't..... played with $1000 digital cameras... I can recommend the following for photo microscopy.... for those on a tight budget

1) You do not need to spend a ton of money to get good pictures.

2) I have bought new and used equipment.

3) Camera.... Nikon 990, 3 megapixel, runs on 4 AA batteries non of this special battery thing price sub $100 usd on Ebay (also 4500, 995 Nikons work but use special batteries)

4) buy new Most important get generic nikon microscope adapter that couples to microscope occular $60 USD ( from China/ India)ebay

5) buy new Get generic Remote shutter release $40 USD (China) Ebay

Remember... 1 million pixel is photographic.

I got a large camera collection including slr Sigma SD series with Foeven technology ... yet the mirror slap generates too much vibrations thus compromise resolution.

Something to consider. PL

Edited by pleecan

Yes, I have a couple of decent binocular microscopes, have indeed been considering setting one up as a major upgrade to the Motic. Thanks for the info and the advice, I appreciate it very much...it will happen sometime after I cough up the change for a new snow blower, which I may well need by this coming Wednesday.

I also have a decent camera collection, and a bunch of older film - style cameras as well to get rid of. I just don't use those any more.

Yes, I have a couple of decent binocular microscopes, have indeed been considering setting one up as a major upgrade to the Motic. Thanks for the info and the advice, I appreciate it very much...it will happen sometime after I cough up the change for a new snow blower, which I may well need by this coming Wednesday.

I also have a decent camera collection, and a bunch of older film - style cameras as well to get rid of. I just don't use those any more.

Snowblower is priority one worth every penny.... as we get older... last thing you want is to drop due to a heart attack while shoveling snow. As for the older film cameras... save the lens as the lens ie Pentax Takumar lens will fit the modern day digital equivalent. Some of the older lens are sharper than todays cheaper lens found on digital slr. PL

• New Members

Thank you very much Matt, I have made a note of the ID. As promised, here are some more Arkona specimens.

This is a formerly-unknown but now (probably) identified specimen of Botryllopora sp. (bryozoan) (thanks again Northern Sharks! :D ), at least that is what we are thinking it is…..

gallery_2209_628_81160.jpg

And a close up of same:

gallery_2209_628_7128.jpg

And the other side...a foram, maybe? This is the flip side of the piece that the Botryllopora is on.

gallery_2209_628_135890.jpg

What do you guys think?

Bear, I found a very similar fossil to the one in your last picture, quoted "What do you guys think" and I sent a picture to a local collector who has been collecting in Hungry Hollow for 20+ years. He identified it as the Bryozoan "Fenestella". I tried to attach a picture of the Fenestella I found in Hungry Hollow, but the file was too big :(

• New Members

Does anyone know who/what company turns the clay and if there is any kind of predictable schedule to find out when they do it?

Fossilz

Thanks for the ID FRF, it seems accurate. (I found some examples on the internet thingie) I think the companies have quit digging the clay so it doesn't get turned any more, save by us fossil hounds. :(

Well,

it looked like they had been doing some clay harvesting in the recent past when this trip went on 11/14.

hard to say when (can't remember if there was a dozer there or not), but it had been within a few weeks.

Crinus said they dig it once or twice a year.

Maybe we could get together and purchase a load or two of clay and donate it to the local ceramics club...

might work.

;)