Fossil areas.

whovin

Whovin, I can lead you to water, but you have to take the drink.  I've posted some of these sites before, but let me offer them again, and I hope you make use of them.

1) Within TFF search the entries listed at:  http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/forum/94-california/

2) Interactive map of Calif. fossil sites:  https://californiafossils.org/

3) Ernst quarries, Bakersfield, Ca.:  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g32037-d3431684-r266519152-Ernst_Quarries-Bakersfield_California.html

4) Another interactive map of Ca. sites:  https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1t4SV3bs4pkpiDQAQklhuz8bmF_A&ll=36.73788660319954%2C-119.95586954999999&z=6

5) And again, The S. Ca. Paleo Society (SCPS) which I recommended in my most recent post:  socalpaleo.com  

Since I don't live in Ca. nor have hunted fossils in Ca., doing an internet search is the best help I can offer.  You will have to take it from there to determine which sites work for you.  This much I can tell you - no one is likely to give you any information on any "honey holes" they may know of, esp. on an international forum.  If they did, that site would be swarmed and depleted in a short time.  So you'll have to rely on general information and see what you can find through exploration of and around those sites.  OR - you can join the SCPS and go to their sites with them, get to know the members and become a trusted member, and then perhaps even be invited to a member's secret site to hunt with her/him.  Beyond that, I can give you no better advice from where I reside in Texas. 

• I found this Informative 6

If I lived in Jurupa I would be looking in the Santa Ana River and the hills north of route 60. If there's no fossils, there's probably tons of interesting rocks and minerals. Then, whenever I had a chance to go further out I would search those areas and take detailed notes of what was found at each location, and start mapping it out. Once you get enough information together you will know better than anyone else in your area where to find fossils. Don't be afraid of putting in the time. How much you get in return is proportional to the amount of time you put into it.

• I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

2 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

If I lived in Jurupa I would be looking in the Santa Ana River and the hills north of route 60. If there's no fossils, there's probably tons of interesting rocks and minerals. Then, whenever I had a chance to go further out I would search those areas and take detailed notes of what was found at each location, and start mapping it out. Once you get enough information together you will know better than anyone else in your area where to find fossils. Don't be afraid of putting in the time. How much you get in return is proportional to the amount of time you put into it.

The river has a very deadly bacteria in it right now. you did say hills so that is a good spot. they cutting through the hill i think so i could go to the road cuts.

If you need to find good spots I suggest getting this app called Rockd. It's a geological map that shows your location. It gives all information and even has a paleogeographic map of your location. That's how I do it. You can even go to satalite mode and see if the formation has outcrops. Or use google earth for the satellite and rockd for details of the outcrops you see. I'm not on here to promote apps but this app helps me so much and improves my knowledge when collecting. 

• I found this Informative 2

I can tell you a good majority of fossil spots in California are very sporadic small lenses. It is not like the large deposits that are exposed in road cuts like our eastern brethren get to enjoy.

Sure there are some areas that have that type of exposure, but very ( and I mean very ) few and far between.

Due to our tremendous tectonic activity there is much faulting, uplift, shifting of layers. All which causes a lot of discontinuity in the strata.

Try those research methods listed above ( theres a lot if useful information there!!! ) and hopefully find something you can work with.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG