Triassic Plant Goodies

flyguy784

newplantfossils030-1.jpg

Lockatong formation find. Possibly Algae mat???? What do you guys think?

newplantfossils033-1.jpg

Another compressed Calamites. This one I found recently. What do ya think Roman?

Hi 'flyguy', very interesting. It's strange for me so close similarity to your ealier post picture. I mean the result of 'squishing'. I can imagine that some calamites stems were placed vertically to the mixed plant material before burial and you found two of them but they look so similarblush.gif . Could you specify the scale of the specimen?

Picture is approximatly 4x actual specimen. Upon further investigation I believe this species is, Neocalamites Virginiensis. Apparently this type specimen has been collected before and not considered "rare". My understanding is that it's a transverse section thru the stem's node. Also, the picture that I posted a month or so ago, the one you marked up. The "little ring" looking parts are, as I read it, the basil portion of a side branch.

Edited by flyguy784

Really good info, flyguy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!