I Have No Idea What This Is.

tracer

Guest Smilodon

no, but it's ok. although i really want to know what everything is, i'm fairly used to having things that are not identified. and some of the things i post i sort of know going in aren't particularly likely to get definitive answers, but i sort of feel people might like seeing them, because i really enjoy the i.d. section myself.

I'm not saying it is, but I'm not saying it isn't. I'm jus' sayin'

post-2027-12570443399527_thumb.jpg

I'm not saying it is, but I'm not saying it isn't. I'm jus' sayin'

post-2027-12570443399527_thumb.jpg

that picture is very interesting and it would be nice to know what it is and where. although the material in that picture doesn't look particularly igneous, i have for some time been semi-intrigued by the columnar formations of basalt when it cools slowly underground and is subsequently exposed over time by erosion. crushed basalt that is used for rail beds, etc., comes from "traprock" quarries, and "traprock" supposedly got its name from "treppen" which is german for "stairs", due to the tops of the columns of various heights. interesting stuff, but i'm required to continue wondering about the origins of my little fossil strangeness.

The hexagonal morphology of the columns strongly suggests hexagonaria to me as well, a coral we have here in abundance. In fact, the "Petosky stone", our state fossil, is hexagonaria. The specimens I have and have seen do not have such columnar shape though, which is puzzling.

I like the what - appears - to - be olivine too, have no idea what the worms are though. I would love to obtain a fossil bee or hornet nest. Also a termite - eaten piece of pet wood would be fun.

well, i do think it pays to look at specimens holistically, in that too often i see i.d. attempts based on one obvious morphological characteristic which serves as a sort of red herring. the polygonal shape (not true hexagonal, although perhaps trending toward that average in number of "sides") changes dramatically at the "edge" of the thing, which forms a more or less perfect arc as if the overall cross-section of the complete specimen was very circular. and the way the "columns" seem to consist of very homogeneous infilling, it still almost seems to me as if the original thin-walled structure was either to keep some reed-like plant structure very light or something. either that or the ultimate storage/vascular system for a plant that was more water than cellulose? again, i'm probably barking up the wrong reed on that, in that the structure doesn't seem adequate for it, but whatever. i find it interesting and appreciate ya'll's indulgence of my constant curiosity.

I find this all to be most entertaining. I readily admit that I played fast and dirty with the hexagonal conclusion, but did indeed take an average of what I saw to arrive there. What you suggest is also quite plausible, at least to my thinking. Infill in hollow tubes would explain the appearance, for sure, most likely some kind of water plant in that case.

The point made on the size does strike home - basalt columns are huge and cooled down very slowly. *wistfully remembers climbing the columns at Devils Post Pile*

Guest Smilodon

that picture is very interesting and it would be nice to know what it is and where. although the material in that picture doesn't look particularly igneous, i have for some time been semi-intrigued by the columnar formations of basalt when it cools slowly underground and is subsequently exposed over time by erosion. crushed basalt that is used for rail beds, etc., comes from "traprock" quarries, and "traprock" supposedly got its name from "treppen" which is german for "stairs", due to the tops of the columns of various heights. interesting stuff, but i'm required to continue wondering about the origins of my little fossil strangeness.

Google "Giants Causeway"

Google "Giants Causeway"

ah! guess there's some sort of carbonate crust or skin on the things from being at the coast. i was wondering why the color of the rocks looked sedimentary and the fracturing looked igneous.

The hexagonal morphology of the columns strongly suggests hexagonaria to me as well, a coral we have here in abundance. In fact, the "Petosky stone", our state fossil, is hexagonaria. The specimens I have and have seen do not have such columnar shape though, which is puzzling.

I like the what - appears - to - be olivine too, have no idea what the worms are though. I would love to obtain a fossil bee or hornet nest. Also a termite - eaten piece of pet wood would be fun.

here's a piece of nj pet wood with insect feeding damage. not sure if termites did the damage or not though. im always up for trades. :D

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01645.jpg

DSC01649.jpg

Resembles bark-beetle galleries.Pretty neat!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

RUDIST

Not being sure where you found it, but knowing the general vicinity of your repose, I am going to say it's a section thru the side wall of a Cretaceous Rudist. lmost any coral is going to have openings almost identical in size. Rudists had weird internal structures, often chock full of hollows and voids.