Fort Worth

erose

Hey folks, especially you Texans... I will be heading up from Austin to Fort Worth Monday and want to get a few hours collecting in before my meetings late that afternoon. I am staying of 820 North just east of I-35W. It would great to hit a local where I can spend maybe 2-3 hours. I don't want the driving-to-collecting ratio to get too high. I'd love to get into something different than what we have down here like the Paw Paw or the more expansive Eagle Ford. Main Street, Goodland and Grayson could be interesting as well.

Also suggestions for locals between Austin and FW that are not too far off I-35 would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

ER

Go to the abandoned quarry 2-3 miles west of 35 on 820 at the NE intersection with Old Decatur Rd. Well known site, but it still produces. Kdc, possibly Kfw too. I've never been hassled there.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Most peeps won't give up their Kpp, and Kef may present you with traffic issues. The biggest Kgy site open right now is probably Rayzor Ranch to the best of my knowledge at 35 and 380 in Denton, but its a bit out of your way and also well known. Still produces though, particularly after heavy rain.

Grüße,

ER

Go to the abandoned quarry 2-3 miles west of 35 on 820 at the NE intersection with Old Decatur Rd. Well known site, but it still produces. Kdc, possibly Kfw too. I've never been hassled there.

Thanks dan, much appreciated. That would be super easy from where I am staying that night. I can see it on google maps. Where would I park? Looks like plenty of ways in.

ER

Dan, they have fenced off that quarry..... Im not sure how legal it is to enter it now? I know theres other ways in, but i havent been over there in a few months.

But this is a very nice area to find large ammonites and large heart urchines.

At one point I used to park in the neighborhood immediately north to keep my car safe. But I've also parked at the intersection of Old Decatur and 820 and walked in as well as driven up the gravel road paralleling the access road and driving into the top of the quarry from its west side. I haven't been there in 6-8 months. I hope the place isn't completely fenced. Last Nov a buddy and I found a pod of about 15 Macs in the wall, 26 for the day - Good times!

Grüße,

The neighborhood side fence was locked last I checked, and since they put a gas line in so they made a road all the way to the bottom of the pit. I drove my car almost to the bottom. So it was easy getting in. BUT they have since fenced it. I havent been over that way in a month or so, but it was fenced last I checked......

Thanks for the heads up. I don't like crossing fences.

A friend had ben telling me all about collecting at Lake Worth. But I may not be able to talk to him between now & Monday. Any directions to where to collect there would be welcome.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't like crossing fences.

A friend had ben telling me all about collecting at Lake Worth. But I may not be able to talk to him between now & Monday. Any directions to where to collect there would be welcome.

(listening closely...) I remember someone posting something recently about collecting near that lake's dam. I'm thinking that's where I'll head when I make it down there, hopefully soon.

Hey folks, especially you Texans... I will be heading up from Austin to Fort Worth Monday and want to get a few hours collecting in before my meetings late that afternoon. I am staying of 820 North just east of I-35W. It would great to hit a local where I can spend maybe 2-3 hours. I don't want the driving-to-collecting ratio to get too high. I'd love to get into something different than what we have down here like the Paw Paw or the more expansive Eagle Ford. Main Street, Goodland and Grayson could be interesting as well.

Also suggestions for locals between Austin and FW that are not too far off I-35 would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

A couple spots that produce - Rufe Snow and Bursey Road field. You will see the hill with erosion on it. Google-fu will show you what the site produces. Sometimes the NRH police will swing by and want to know what you are doing but typically they just want to make sure you aren't trying to start a fire!

Another area is off of North Beach Street and 820. There happens to be a road fossil creek.... hmmmm, i wonder why! Anyways, just look for new home construction or any digging. Word of caution, do not park your car out of your eye site. Its smash and grab city there.

If you go on google earth/maps and take a look at where 35w(North) and 820 everything north of 820 and west of 81/287 will have something - new home construction - creeks - road work the whole shabang. If you aren't careful you may end up with a 20-40 pound ammonite!

Be careful, be smart about parking your car and be mindful in neighborhoods where people live.

Thanks dfwphotoguy but I didn't see your post until I got home. I'll keep it for reference.

I did get some directions from a friend and went to both the bluff ay Lake Worth Dam and a site west of 820 off White Settlement. Both produced some nice fossils. I found a good variety of ammonites including a handful (arms-full?) of complete specimens. All medium to small, but everything bigger was in kit form &/or missing parts. Collected bags of heart urchins for give aways at the PSoA Fossilfest show as well as a good dozen that are keepers for my own collection. Lots of bivalves and gastropods, horn corals & some other odd bits TBD.

I believe at Lake Worth I was in the Kiamichi. And the other was maybe Goodland or Comanche Peak. both were rubbly LS with shale beds between. I sure would like to find a local where the ammonites are on better shape.

Looking forward to my next trip there. This one was 9/10ths business and offered only minimal time for collecting. In fact I lost almost 90 minutes of collecting to sitting in backed up construction traffic. I will never complain about Austin's traffic problems again.

I sure would like to find a local where the ammonites are on better shape.

• 1 month later...

At water level it's the top of the Walnut formation (oyster beds), then Goodland (white limestone), then Kiamichi (olive clay with poor flaggy limestone, then Duck Creek (very top).

All I've ever found were heart urchins and snails.

It's a very public spot with lots of hikers and families and anything interesting prolly gets snatched pretty quick.

Edited by LanceHall

ER

Dan, do you think the uppermost layers around the rim are actually Kfw? I know Kingena brachs are at the rim level which may indicate the supposed "upper Kingena" layer in Kdc. I know Winton/Adkins did a detailed stratigraphy of Kdc BUT they were working from a composite of smaller exposures around TCU.

I know near the top it starts that regular alteration of layers that's supposed to be Kfw. Sooooo... I have no idea for sure.

Also, have you seen any sign of Eopachydiscus ammonites in there?? I'm thinking any basal Kdc is obscured by the debris near the floor of the quarry.

It should be noted to others that Roadside Geology of Texas incorrectly lists the quarry as Kiamichi formation (DOH!).

I have also noticed how quickly the formations have moved up the stratig chart being not that far north or east from basal Duck Creek around Lake Worth proper. Looks like the depositions took a sharp left turn going north.

Edited by LanceHall