Fossils and biking in Moscow

RuMert

Difficult and delicate work you did to find those fossils, but well worth the effort for that rainbow hued nacre. Thank you for the virtual visit to your site!

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thank you all very much for your replies and kind words ! I'll post here if I find anything worth your attention

On 23.09.2019 at 10:37 AM, caterpillar said:

be careful by digging like that in sand

Thank you, I hope its not that dangerous there, I'll be more careful:)

On 23.09.2019 at 7:21 PM, Ludwigia said:

Nice to see that someone else gets around well on his bike

We need to found a fossil bikers' club:)

Beautiful cephalopods! I can't wait to see them cleaned up. Thank you for writing such a detailed report too. 

Awesome ammonites. I grew up about 5 miles from the Korite Mine where they are mining the gem quality ammolite in Alberta. Me and a friend use to fossil hunt and find so many that had the beautiful colors just like that before they came in to mine it. Most of it is in my moms garden now except a couple nice whole ones I have. 

Thank you! Unfortunately the ammonites look best in situ: often the shells are squished and hold together only in mud. They also look good while wet, afterwards they tend to loose color. Trying to separate them from their "natural enviroment", i.e. weak and wet sandy clay while keeping their beauty is a hard task.

Thanks for sharing with us. It looks like a fun place to collect!  Have you tried spraying them with a clear acrylic spray paint like krylon after they have dried a bit? That may help preserve the color

Yes, I tried water-based acrylic paint, nail polish, normal glue, Paraloid 72 (they have to be glued and the glue affects polish/paint). Color is still fading. Using nail polish changes color to reddish (unnatural). 

So I tried a bit of prepping and still couldn't work out an adequate approach to this material. It's very fragile and colorful while wet, but the phragmocones are empty and either squished or covered with mini-cracks falling apart in your hands. I applied model glue immediately, but the glue is not transparent, so afterwards I had to use something else. I tried nail polish, it looks like it is soaked into the matrix, the shell becomes covered with small holes (fragile shells again) and the color fades. Acrylic polish is better, half of the initial color is saved:)

The big fragment is heavily covered with big amounts of everything and leaves much to desire, small ones - with acrylic paint, the septa are as they are. One of the shells retains its interesting bluish color, but it's partly broken and the surface is not smooth. It was covered with nail polish.

IMG_20191009_171623.jpg

IMG_20191009_171451.jpg

IMG_20191009_171928.jpg

But basically the shells should not be iridescent in nature, the shells are made of 3(?) layers and they become iridescent only when the outer layer is removed which happens when the shells break from the matrix in water. Here are 2 shell fragments, the 2nd produced from dry matrix

IMG_20191009_171549.jpg

I let a big chunk of matrix dry for a couple of weeks. The ammos from dry matrix look like usual, with white chalky shells

IMG_20191009_172035.jpg

IMG_20191009_172112.jpg

But I'm not sure if I should still apply acrylic polish (as in 2nd outer cast), because the chalk from the shells are fragile and if you touch it, some sticks to your hands. 

IMG_20191009_172139.jpg

This is very fascinating, thank you for sharing your experiments. I wonder, is that similar to how the presence of water is what causes opal's iridescence? I have to say, even the reduced color is still lovely on those. 

Those fossils look exquisite to me, though I can appreciate the difficulties in collecting and preserving them. Congratulations and thanks for sharing them. By the way, riding my bike will only bring me to exposures of metamorphic rock. If I want to collect fossils I have to travel.