Need Help

sharkdentist

Ok, I am not real into the cretaceous material found in N.C around the Lumberton River area were this was found it looks like it has groves maybe were teeth were like some sort of jaw section not sure any help would be great .......

post-1253-12571866682054_thumb.jpg

post-1253-1257186677985_thumb.jpg

lol ummmmm sharkdentist maby you should have told them CRETACEOUS lol and marine would help but it really looks mammoth but if it is holy snarge we need to dig more i have several pieces with that marking on it all found with mosasaur teeth so I dont know but maby it will help

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

lol ummmmm sharkdentist maby you should have told them CRETACEOUS lol and marine would help but it really looks mammoth but if it is holy snarge we need to dig more i have several pieces with that marking on it all found with mosasaur teeth so I dont know but maby it will help

I did say cretaceous it still could be possible we find megs and so forth and it is a reworked layer so looking at the tooth or bone it really looks as if the jaw section is still attached to the tooth I am not sure bit tracer and worthy seem to be spot on with other ID's

Well you got me there maby we are finding mammoth in Lumberton hmmmm I'm going to have to rethink all the wierd stuff im finding here dangit I have to get more books geee thanks all lol but thanks Tracer for enlightening me on how wrong I have been for years about this area only being marine with a few dino teeth thrown in Ill be back I need to go really look at the Bones I threw in the yard because I could not Id them

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

Well you got me there maby we are finding mammoth in Lumberton hmmmm I'm going to have to rethink all the wierd stuff im finding here dangit I have to get more books geee thanks all lol but thanks Tracer for enlightening me on how wrong I have been for years about this area only being marine with a few dino teeth thrown in Ill be back I need to go really look at the Bones I threw in the yard because I could not Id them

well, here's the point. if you look on a geologic map of north carolina, you may see it indicating that the area you're hunting in is cretaceous. but there is a nonconformity overlying that, that is the result of old, meandering river terraces and the resulting deposition of pleistocene material. this kind of thing isn't particularly unusual.

blurb about pleistocene near you

geologic map

No, I don't think it is a mommoth molar . I can see it better now and the ridges have a cuped surface and no enamel either. This is my little mammoth tooth note the ridges on thr surface. So back to square one. :blush::blush::blush::)

post-23-12572041394988_thumb.jpg

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

I think that's a piece of hadrosaur jaw!!! The grooves are where the tooth batteries grow. Awesome!!!

Like a duck bill? B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

<sounding emergency klaxon> aaahhhhhOOOOOOOOggaaaaaaaa! aaaahhhhhOOOOOOOggaaaaaa!

it's from a bison.

go you! dinos are better than mammoths!

it's amazing how obvious stuff is to me after people point it out. ok, so forget all that pleistocene drivel i made up. i'm just not used to thinking in terms of duck-billed bison because we don't have those anywhere in my area. but with the better pictures, and going back and looking more carefully at the first, it's clear that i got fooled by two things. first, not thinking outside my normal frame of reference, and second, making the very mistake that i cautioned against in a post the other day, by "matching" the specimen to general morphological characteristics and not looking at the thing carefully and holistically. i won't blame it on the pictures, because when i went back and looked the first ones more carefully, it doesn't match mammoth.

i'm very fortunate to be the forum fool so that i can be wrong frequently and not feel too bad.

<snoopy-dancing out of the room with the light step of one from whom the heavy burden of correctness has been lifted>

I think that's a piece of hadrosaur jaw!!! The grooves are where the tooth batteries grow. Awesome!!!

OMG! I feal dizzy...

FAN-TASTIC find, SD, I'm just about of words now...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok, I am not real into the cretaceous material found in N.C around the Lumberton River area were this was found it looks like it has groves maybe were teeth were like some sort of jaw section not sure any help would be great .......

ok now I feel better so we have together 3 sections of hadrosaur jaws I thought mammoth omg lol yes we do find dinos here hey dude I just thought about something what do there teeth look like? holy snarge we have teeth too lol look them up remember those strange shape bones i kept throwing down guess what I am going tomorrow to collect them they are teeth!!!!!!

SD, whatever month you found this thing, enter it in that month's Find of the Month, OK?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

maby one of the teeth?post-2185-1257209019329_thumb.jpgpost-2185-12572090380395_thumb.jpg

BINGO!

post-423-12572092486327_thumb.jpg

post-423-12572092319091_thumb.jpg

BINGO!

post-423-12572092486327_thumb.jpg

post-423-12572092319091_thumb.jpg

ok ill be back carying my pistol and flashlight I need to get the rest of those tonight see you all in a bit