Vert Id

Tracer Jr.

yeah, i'm not sure i've ever hunted your area much, but it looks kinda like the ends of this vert in my collection...

post-488-12572962144375_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572962130931_thumb.jpg

p.s. - does your sister know you're using her camera again?

yes, i was kind enough to ask her if i may borrow it :) so many unidentified things that you don't post, and i'm dying to know!

well, i still have that knobby knee from like a year ago that i never found out what it was and you don't see me whining about it. oh, wait, yes you do. um. ok, hang on. forget tj's vert. somebody tell me what this is from -

post-488-12572967997257_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572968008401_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572968021489_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572968035572_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572967983916_thumb.jpg

yes, i know it's the back of a skull. but from what? oh, and don't forget to i.d. tj's vert. i would feel bad for jumping his post, but you should have seen the things he's done to me over the years.

well, i still have that knobby knee from like a year ago that i never found out what it was and you don't see me whining about it. oh, wait, yes you do. um. ok, hang on. forget tj's vert. somebody tell me what this is from -

post-488-12572967997257_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572968008401_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572968021489_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572968035572_thumb.jpg

post-488-12572967983916_thumb.jpg

yes, i know it's the back of a skull. but from what? oh, and don't forget to i.d. tj's vert. i would feel bad for jumping his post, but you should have seen the things he's done to me over the years.

tracer its bison lol

I have a vert sitting on my book shelf that looks alot like it, unfortunately I think it was given to me with no information. I hope you find out.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

That first vert is a new one on me too.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest Smilodon

As a big swingin' stumper, I must admit, I am stumped :bow: - but also strangely aroused by pic#2 :startle:

BTW Jr. - I don't know what it is, but you've got it upside down. Does that help? :lol:

Edited by Smilodon

ok, class...let's review.

so far, we've learned that -

a) tracer and tj find weird, broken things

B) tj can't take pictures worth a flip, and you can't type a "b" here with a closing parenthesis after it because the board software thinks you want to do a smiley.

c) tracer and tj should leave their things where they found them because they never get id'd and are therefore simply strange paperweights

d) shark dentist gets cocky when he's found a dinosaur recently and starts stealing tracer's lines.

As a big swingin' stumper, I must admit, I am stumped :bow: - but also strangely aroused by pic#2 :startle:

BTW Jr. - I don't know what it is, but you've got it upside down. Does that help? :lol:

picky picky and TMI...

so i've stumped everyone? now i really want to know what it is. lol.

ok, class...let's review.

so far, we've learned that -

a) tracer and tj find weird, broken things

B) tj can't take pictures worth a flip, and you can't type a "b" here with a closing parenthesis after it because the board software thinks you want to do a smiley.

c) tracer and tj should leave their things where they found them because they never get id'd and are therefore simply strange paperweights

d) shark dentist gets cocky when he's found a dinosaur recently and starts stealing tracer's lines.

I like D lol

I can't nail it down, but it has some canid characteristics...it will be easier for you to make related comparisons.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

well i spent thirty minutes searching every possible animal i could think of and found nothing that looked similar to the vert. :growl:

Guest Smilodon

this came out of the pleistocene of texas. pretty mineralized. any ideas?

thanks.

and the answer is (drum roll)....................................

It appears to be the cervical vertebra of a large turtle or tortoise, possibly c7. Depending on the site and exact age, it could be sea turtle or a land tortoise....

From the only person who knows more about fossils than me, and I trust to be correct. Ego, get back in that box!

Edited by Smilodon