Circles On The Calamites Branch

RomanK

Could it be a type with a branching habit?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Can you post a larger closeup of the circles?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

N.AL.hunter. very bad, but I will admit that was the first thing I thought of also...very bad! Shame on both of us. My apologies to you Romank!

Anyway...

Romank, nice specimen. I concur with Auspex...pretty sure you have an example with branch scars at different nodes along the length of the specimen....see this link which shows multiple branch scars at the same node. Regards, Chris http://www.geocraft.com/WVFossils/Calamite6.html

Hey Roman. A better close up of the actual circled item would go a long way. Could be branch scars, but, as far as I know branching on Calamites always occurs at the nodes. At least in all the literature I have on Triassic Equisetales. I would be inclined to think possibly a fungal infection of some sort. Try to get a close up.

Edited by flyguy784

This is the best I can do:

post-423-1257441501142_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I stand corrected. Did a little looking around and did find one species, Equisetites rogersi, again Triassic, that does have branch scars that are not on the nodes. So it's possible. Kind of like comparing apples and oranges though. Triassic vs Carboniferous. I just don't have many images of carboniferous plant material. Take a look at the scars under magnafication. If they're branch scars you should be able to see a distortion in the stem surface where the branches came thru. If not, you should be able to see that the circled objects are merely on the suface (fungus). I'm really curious to find out what they are.

RomanK..... It looks like chunks of matrix still attached to the stem to me... I know they appear an equal size.....maybe theres a spirobis worm tube underneath that has acted as adhesion for the matrix.... I diesnt seem to look like nodes to me....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I stand corrected. Did a little looking around and did find one species, Equisetites rogersi, again Triassic, that does have branch scars that are not on the nodes. So it's possible. Kind of like comparing apples and oranges though. Triassic vs Carboniferous. I just don't have many images of carboniferous plant material. Take a look at the scars under magnafication. If they're branch scars you should be able to see a distortion in the stem surface where the branches came thru. If not, you should be able to see that the circled objects are merely on the suface (fungus). I'm really curious to find out what they are.

Thanks to all for help. I agree with version branching. Look at the thicker branch I found among my old specimens, circles arranged near nodes and has a circular spacing.

post-814-12574458490669_thumb.jpg