Hemipristis Serra Tooth Size?

TourmalineGuy

What is the range of sizes for hemi teeth? This one I found in the Peace River is about 1.5"

post-2423-12574737388605_thumb.jpg

I found postings online of teeth as large as 1.88"

Just curious.

Yeah, I heard about that one too. Bone Valley cuts through the formations at which H. serra was at its largest. Same with Lee Creek.

• I found this Informative 1

What is the range of sizes for hemi teeth? This one I found in the Peace River is about 1.5"

That's right about as big as I ever found in Virginia's Calvert Formation; the condition of them there, BTW, can be outstanding.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I had one from Bone Valley that was 2 3/8"

Would have loved to have see that one. That was a whopper. B)B)B):)

It's my bone!!!

post-2423-12574737388605_thumb.jpg

I found postings online of teeth as large as 1.88"

Just curious.

This topic was discussed elsewhere on this forum earlier this year, I think. I would say any hemi over 1.5 inches is big. A 2-incher is like a 6-inch meg (something on the want list) for anyone who avidly collects shark teeth. Any increment over 2 inches is quite rare. Few people have even a photo of one.

who wants to see a big hemi,watch this clip,its not mine....

if you want to skip right to the big hemi go to minute 2:36

Edited by edd

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

Its a very nice tooth. Those are some of my favorites, good find.

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'