Id Fossil Tooth

tkimmons

• New Members

I found this fossil tooth in a shallow creek bed in middle Tennessee. I am not very knowledgable about fossils but have always wondered what it came from. The two pics are a front and back photo.

post-2445-12576362384864_thumb.jpg

post-2445-12576362467949_thumb.jpg

Well, it has a generally tooth-like shape, but the textures and rounded edges are interesting-rock-like.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• New Members

Here are some more pics. Like I said before it was found in an active creek bed and I always assumed it had been worn down by the water. Which would explain its smaller size and very smooth edges.

post-2445-1257696116848_thumb.jpg

post-2445-1257696126354_thumb.jpg

post-2445-12576961320977_thumb.jpg

Here are some more pics. Like I said before it was found in an active creek bed and I always assumed it had been worn down by the water. Which would explain its smaller size and very smooth edges.

It does appear to be just a rock worn smooth to a tooth-like shape. The broken part does not look like a pulp cavity.

At first I thought it was a piece of water worn bone, but the new pictures look like a water worn rock

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Still an interesting rock. It would go in my "hey look at this" category. Don't give up though because there are fossils in TN. Keep looking.