Need Help Identifying a Few Bones

CryptBHR

Hey all, hoping some of you could help me identify a few specimens I found this year while surface collecting on my hikes.

The first one looks like maybe a ceratopsian frill segment? I'm just comparing it aesthetically to pieces of triceratops frill I've seen for sale but I could be dead wrong. It needed no cleaning, was completely eroded out of the hill.

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

This next one is a vertebrae of some sort. Caudal maybe? Looks fairly eroded, likely exposed for a long time before I found it and was at the bottom of a hill so it took a tumble at one point.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

This last one is a partial tooth I found in two pieces, glued it back together. Despite being broken, the serrations are still very visible.

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Where did you find these? It would help if we knew the location. 

Your first piece does look like ceratopsid frill, second looks like a tumbled vertebra of some variety. The last is definitely a theropod tooth, some variety of Tyrannosaur depending on where you found it.

2 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

Where did you find these? It would help if we knew the location. 

Your first piece does look like ceratopsid frill, second looks like a tumbled vertebra of some variety. The last is definitely a theropod tooth, some variety of Tyrannosaur depending on where you found it.

They were all found in Southern Alberta, along the Bow River an hour and a half south of Dinosaur Provincial Park. 

Tooth is an indeterminate tyrannosaurid either Gorgosaurus or Daspletosaurus.

Top does look like a fragment of Ceratopsian frill. If you can take a direct in shot of the ends and sides of the caudal vert might be able to identify family. No obtuse angles please 

Fantastic. Ceratopsians and tyrannosaurids are my two favourite Dino groups and it appears my collecting this year has been very fortunate. It’s also nice to know I’m getting better at identifying my finds. Thanks for the help! 

5 hours ago, CryptBHR said:

Here are the direct shots of that vertebra 

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1v1fybvf8/

It is preferred that you post your images on The Forum.  In the future, dead photo links might render your topic useless to others trying to learn from your finds.  ;) 

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Just now, JohnJ said:

It is preferred that you post your images on The Forum.  In the future, dead photo links might render your topic useless to others trying to learn from your finds.  ;) 

I tried uploading the photos but they exceeded the maximum size, and I was at work with only my phone when posting so I wasn’t able to change the file size, or if I can I don’t know how. Even the pics in the original post were embedded from postimage, and those were from my computer & were under the max size requirement so I don’t know why it wasn’t working. My apologies. 

5 minutes ago, CryptBHR said:

I tried uploading the photos but they exceeded the maximum size, and I was at work with only my phone when posting so I wasn’t able to change the file size, or if I can I don’t know how. Even the pics in the original post were embedded from postimage, and those were from my computer & were under the max size requirement so I don’t know why it wasn’t working. My apologies. 

I understand.  :)  Still, embedded photos and links often transition to meaningless posts in the future.  There are free photo apps that easily resize images.  These apps will also allow you to crop the photos in a way to exclude excess background (file size).  Some members email the photos to themselves as a way to resize them, too.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Posting photos here for when the links die. 

1.jpg  3.jpg

4.jpg  6.jpg

7.jpg  8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg  11.jpg

12.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png    VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015       MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg        IPFOTM -- MAY - 2024   IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png

_________________________________________________________________________________
"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks."

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Posting photos here for when the links die. 

Thanks. Postimage links usually last a very long time though. I’ve used them on other forums and there is still 6 year old picture links that haven’t died. 

Hi,

You can certainly understand that a number of our members don’t want to leave TFF to see pictures. To be read and seen, you have to do the right thing and put the photos directly visible on the forum ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Pareidolia : here

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg