What Kind Of Herring Is This?

Sir Knightia

2188789670103662668S600x600Q85.jpg

Dear Fossil Forum,

Though I love fossils for their beauty and wonder, I am not very knowledgable about them I'm afraid. Is this fish a Diplomystus or a Knightia? I thought it was a Diplo because of the incredibly upturned mouth, but have since noticed Knightias for sale on the net that also have this pose. As you can see, the bottom rear fin by the tail is pure paint. I didn't prep that part of the fossil, and when I learned Diplos have that fin, I tried to go back and uncover the area, but I had already sealed the fossil and couldn't prep it, so...

Anyway, I'd love for you to look at this and tell me what you think. What kind of herring is this?

Thanks!

Gerard

Hello,

welcome to the forum.

It is Diplomystus dentatus Cope, 1877 and it is well known from lower Eocene deposits of the Green River Formation in Wyoming. You have also coprolite below the right corner.

"It seems to me that the natural world is the greatest source of excitement; the greatest source of visual beauty; the greatest source of

intellectual interest. It is the greatest source of so much in life that makes life worth living."

-Sir David Attenborough

Hello Dicranurus, thank you for the ID! I am very glad to hear this is indeed a Diplo, it's the only one of it's kind in my collection right now. Good hunting to you, have a great week:)

It's a Diplo, but I'm afraid the whole thing is probably nothing but paint and it also appears to be the negative not the positive. Nice display piece though :)

Hi Bone Digger,

Yes, the Diplo's bones kept fracturing when I was 'prepping' it, and it really was very spotty looking. There wasn't enough of it to really contrast with the matrix, so I decided to paint it. I overdid it, it's too dark...you're right, it's mostly paint, ha ha:)I can kind of understand why people paint their fish now, but I hope I will only do it sparingly.

Thanks,

Gerard

Hey Gerard,

I painted some fish from the split fish layers before and the first few I painted to dark as well. Try just using really thin acrylic paint, sort of a tea colour stain.